Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Modifying My Existing Lower Console To Be Ebrake Free

I started doing some Dr. Frankenstein work on my existing lower console I had bought from Knight Scan Industries. I need the eBrake to be free and unfortunately this current console was designed to cover the eBrake. They do make one that allows the eBrake to be free but I figured I should be able to have a go at doing some modifications to this one to see if I can make it so the eBrake can be used.

I marked out some lines for where I would need to do some cutting for my modifications. Once I had my lines marked I took out the good o'l trusty Dremel tool and did the cutting. I used two of the pieces I cut out and just positioned them back onto the console and taped them into place. I used some cardboard for the other areas that needed to be filled.

Next step was to take the console out to the car for another test fit to see if my plan was going to work. After fitting it into position I can see that it is going to work out the way I want it too. I tested the eBrake and it clears the side of the console just fine. My cutout area makes it easy to reach in and grab the eBrake handle.


Now all I need to do is glass these parts back together. I think one of the other things I am going to do is make some overlapping flaps down the sides that will make installing my modified lower console much easier. I'll make an overlapping flap inside of the eBrake alcove and another one on the side of the console on the drivers side.

One good thing about this is that I don't need to shorten the buttons section of the console. I was afraid for a while that I might loose close to 1/4 of an inch off of the middle section of the console but as you can see I don't need to change it so I can still fit all of my buttons onto the console just like normal.