Saturday, December 28, 2013

Finishing the Bowling Ball Hub Caps

I finally finished off the Bowling Ball hub caps last night. All they need now is the clear coat which should go on pretty easy.

I was thinking more last night about getting these caps to fit after market rims or rims other than the Turbo cast rims that originally would have been on the 1982 Trans Am Firebird. I noticed that a lot of people in the Knight Rider community seem to use Zip Ties to hold their rims on. I have not seen any examples of how this is done but last night I had a thought about possibly creating some kind of adapter that would use Velcro to hold the hub caps in place, my thought was that if this could be done right it would hold the hub caps on quite securely even better than the tabs that originally hold the caps in place on the Turbo Cast rims. The Velcro would also make taking the caps off a lot less of a chore VS the zip ties I hear of so often. I'm pretty inventive so I'll put my inventors thinking cap on and see what I can come up with in this department.

As you can see from the photo on the right that from the day the Bowling Ball hub caps arrived from eBay to how they are now (Top Left) that they are looking much better now that they have had the centre logos removed and have all been sanded and refinished. Once the clear coat is on they will look even better.